Yachtsmen Up To Third on Bumpy Night at Trafford Park

Wroxham 2 Thetford Town 1

A local derby, a cold but calm Friday night, floodlights, a mist coming in from the river Bure and a decent crowd set the scene for a promising night which could see the Wroxham new breed go third in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier division with a fifth win in six. True, they had been hammered last time out but with enough chances to brush that off as an anomaly in an otherwise growing in promise season.

As so often with football, unlike other forms of entertainment where the key actors rarely fluff their lines or as a group fail to catch on that the paying customer might be expecting something approaching …well…entertainment, the ensemble for both protagonists failed to deliver anything approaching entertainment and rarely of resembling the beautiful game.

Sweeney, the little maestro so often capable of the sublime did get away early but his shot was drilled well wide and he combined well enough on occasions with the skilful Harley Black who spent ten minutes prior to kick off on his hands and knees examining his last six meals on the centre circle. Indeed Sweeney it was who got away from his marker on the half hour hour kept his body ‘twixt man and ball and drew the inevitable foul that earned Gilfedder the chance to grab the limelight. He declined;  sending his strike firmly but squarely at a barely diving Barnes in the Thetford goal.

Within minutes, however, he had shaken off the pantomime bad boy car calls with a headed goal that sent the supporters into waves of what can only be described as relief.

Thetford had threatened to upset the home crowd on a number of occasions but only marginally with most of their moves fizzling out in the final third but a hopeful shot on 34 minutes from the bun headed uber tanned Melanomason took a deflection or two and nestled in the corner of the net.

There was very little else to shout about in a tepid second half. Barnes pulled off a great save, Sweeney got needlessly clattered which at least breathed some life into the encounter then Gilfedder got smashed about the chops with an elbow while waiting for a corner to be delivered. Another penalty. This time ‘Gil’ declined the offer perhaps groggy from his torpor so the returning Matthews smashed his spot kick into the top corner.  The curry chef had to be taken to hospital with a cut finger and the kitchen ran out of milk late in the second half as the game petered out in flurry of free kicks and high balls.

But. A win is a win.  Academy product Archie Galley came on for his senior debut for Wroxham and Lewis Wallace, just off the plane from a jaunt in Africa had a decent game at left back.  The sprightly left winger from Thetford also caught the eye occasionally with a few dribbles before running out of options and mates. From a day at the races to night at the opera the Wroxham faithful will be hoping when they Go West on Wednesday to Walsham le Willows it will be a better experience all round.

One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s