Dominant Yachtsmen sail away with the points

Two late goals from Connor Ingram and Shaun Taylor saw The Yachtsmen leave Ipswich with all three points in a game that the Norfolk side dominated possession, writes Adrian Gowling.

Wroxham went into Saturday’s game on the back of a midweek defeat at home to Norfolk rivals Fakenham Town. Since that game, goalkeeper Will Viner has moved on to Thetford Town and it was his replacement George Macrae that ensured the Yachtsmen kept a clean sheet. The youngster made several good saves to keep his goal intact to set up the late victory.

The home side were lying second bottom of the league but their recent performances had shown improvement and they had hoped to take advantage of a side who had recently been susceptible to conceding goals.

Ipswich Wanderers

The Yachtsmen lined up with Macrae in goal, a back four of Tom Matthews, Connor Deeks, Mark Shadrack and Matt Cook. Across the midfield, Shaun Taylor, Ryan Miles, Harley Black and Robbie Sweeney with Connor Ingram and Jordan Bond in attack.

The first real opportunity of the game saw the ball in the back of the Wroxham net but Paulo Coehlo had already been flagged offside before his volley went past Macrae. Wroxham were playing their usual neat passing football and a long pass from Harley Black found Ryan Miles with a sight of the goal but the covering defender managed to get back and block. The Wroxham bench called for a foul on Miles but referee Karl Sear ignored their protests. Matt Cook was the next to try his luck with a shot from distance as he advanced with the ball but it didn’t trouble Jack Spurling as it flew over the crossbar.

Wroxham found themselves in a good position after Robbie Sweeney had been brought down 25yards from goal. Connor Deeks took aim with the free kick but the Ipswich wall blocked it away and Sweeney’s follow-up came to nothing.

Just before the 15-minute mark, another raking pass from Black found Connor Ingram free. After controlling the ball, Ingram’s shot was well-saved by the keeper with his legs. Almost straight after, Jordan Bond was the next target of Black’s well-placed pass. With space in the penalty area, Bond’s shot was always rising and ended in the trees behind the goal.

Wroxham were looking like the opening goal was imminent and the best chance of the game so far fell to Connor Ingram. In his favourite position to the right of the penalty area, a free kick looked destined for the net until Spurling clawed the ball away for a corner.

As half-time approached, Ingram managed to steal in on the end of a cross but his flick went wide of the goal much to the frustration of the forward.

With no goals in the first half, the Yachtsmen were well on top, but there was always the worry that their superiority was going to come to nothing. Ipswich had the first opportunity of the second half but the danger came to nothing.

Looking for some pace on the wing, Tom Parkes and Ross Potter brought on Marcus Wilkinson and Sam Pledger for Cook and Miles. It didn’t take long for Wilkinson to become involved and a run and cross was sliced over by the Ipswich defence for a Yachtsmen corner.

With the clock ticking down, all Wroxham’s play was almost undone. Substitute Blake Fairweather was through on goal. George Macrae advanced and fabulously blocked the initial shot and Fairweather could only put his second shot wide. This prompted a further substitution by the visitors with the need to make sure their missed opportunities were not going to be regretted on the coach ride home, Pete Wiltshire replacing Jordan Bond. Unfortunately, it only prompted the home side as Fairweather was clear through on goal but he could only put it wide. This failure to score was almost immediately punished by Wroxham.

With less than 5 minutes remaining, a towering header from Connor Deeks fell right in front of Connor Ingram. With the keeper flat-footed Ingram nicked it past him and into the net. It prompted a huge celebration from the Yachtsmen connections although there was still the need to keep concentration and not to throw away the lead. The last few minutes saw a textbook display of keeping the ball with the corners of the pitch seeing the most action. Something that frustrated the home side who showed their frustrations a little too much earning a couple of yellow cards for their actions.

Wroxham took full advantage of this and scored their second goal with seconds left on the referee’s watch. A pass from Tom Matthews was dummied by Wiltshire and fell nicely for Shaun Taylor who gleefully buried the ball low into the Ipswich net.

The result saw Wroxham return to seventh place in the league, just six points adrift of second place. Thoughts now turn to Tuesday night (7.45pm) where Kings Lynn Town Reserves are the visitors to Trafford Park in the Thurlow Nunn League Cup.

(Photo courtesy of Dawn Matthews (DM Photography))

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s