Yachtsmen denied in Cup Thriller


Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport and outdoorWroxham 2-3 Dereham Town aet

Written by René Kendal

Wroxham:  G MacCrae, T Matthews, J Manning, P Swatman,  C Deeks, M Shadrack, H Black, A Smith (G Bond), P Wiltshire, S Taylor, C Bussens (M Wilkinson).
Subs: R Miles, K Smith.
Dereham: N Fitch, M Castellan, J Anema, D Hinton (K Wengzik), R Linford, F Burgers (H Exley), R Logan, S Borrer, A Jarvis (R Crisp), J Forshaw, D Beaumont.
Subs:  T Katsande.

Ref: Mr R Head

Dereham were fortunate to reach the semi-final with Wroxham the better side on the night.  In the 6th minute Jamie Forshaw tried to catch home keeper George MacCrae off his line from distance but his effort sailed just wide. Wroxham’s Payton Swatman then tested Nathan Fitch also from distance and the young Dereham keeper saved well.
The Magpies created another chance in the 20th minute with Jamie Forshaw’s fierce 25 yarder forcing MacCrae into a fine full length save. Wroxham’s Shaun Taylor made Fitch produce a fine double save after finding space inside the box.  The Magpies nearly caught the Yachtsmen on the break with Rhys Logan feeding Forshaw who fired into the side netting when well placed in the 29th minute. After a scrappy period of play Pete Wiltshire came close for the home side with low 30 yard drive that Fitch did well to turn round the post.  Just before the break Rhys Logan sped forward before firing over the top from the edge of the box.  After the restart Floris Burgers had to make a vital tackle to deny Adam Smith from pouncing close goal.  Wroxham had made the better start to the half and substitute Marcus Wilkinson made an immediate impact by stabbing the ball home from close range to put his side in front in the 61st minute. Pete Wiltshire then headed wide as the home pressure continued.  Dereham replied with Logan weaving in the box and hitting a low drive that keeper MacCrae did well to save  before Forshaw fired over.  The visitors continued then to struggle to make an impact until Logan turned Crisp centre into the side netting.  As Dereham searched for the equaliser Crisp had an effort disallowed for offside. In added time Danny Beaumont struck the home bar with a curling free kick before Jake Anema netted from close range to force extra time.  Payton Swatman soon put Wroxham back in front with an excellent free kick from the edge of the box. As play switched ends Ryan Crisp immediately levelled following a corner. Swatman struck the post from another free kick as the game remained open. In the second half of added time Logan was upended in the box but the referee waved played on. With three minutes remaining Jamie Forshaw netted to put Dereham in front for the first time and steal the tie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s