Tough day on the road as Yachtsmen get blown away

Felixstowe awayWroxham went into this weekend’s Thurlow Nunn League fixture away at second placed Coggeshall Town in a confident mood. Having hit Wisbech St Mary for seven in the League Cup on Wednesday and beaten league leaders Felixstowe recently, a visit to Coggeshall was next on the agenda.

The Yachtsmen lined up with George Macrae in goal, Tom Matthews, Connor Deeks, Joe Manning and Mark Shadrack. Youngster Archie Galley, who has a year to remember having played at Under 18, Reserve and now first team level, Harley Black, Shaun Taylor, Robbie Sweeney and Jordan Bond. Hat-trick hero from Wednesday, Connor Ingram was up front.

Coggeshall kicked off in a swirling wind which with the added rain later in the afternoon made for difficult conditions. In the opening minute, Connor Deeks tried to take advantage of these but his shot from distance sailed well over the crossbar.

The Seedgrowers with their front three attack were causing difficulty for the Yachtsmen defence. The impressive pace of Nnamdi Nwachuku led to the opening goal. A ball across the area found the former Colchester player running in to the area behind the defence to smash the ball past Macrae.

The Yachtsmen could have been level within two minutes. Shaun Taylor wriggled to make space in the area and played in Robbie Sweeney. His cross was met by a defender’s head rather than a Yachtsmen. The subsequent corner reached Tom Matthews whose header was over the crossbar.

An even better chance came the way of Wroxham in the 13th minute. Again, Sweeney crossed the ball into an unmarked Shaun Taylor. Unfortunately his header was placed wide of the post when it seemed that anywhere on target would have been the equalizer.

That was as good as it got for the Yachtsmen who fell further behind after 17 minutes. A long ball from defence reached Tom Monk wide right. He managed to outpace Joe Manning and his precise shot nestled into the net off the far post.

On the half hour, Coggeshall made it 3-0. A Wroxham throw in was won by Ross Wall. He played through Nwachuku who finished past Macrae with ease.

As the rest of the half progressed, there were further opportunities for Coggeshall to increase their lead further but for some determined defending and poor finishing the score remained 3-0.

Just before half-time, Shaun Taylor nipped in to steal the ball from the Coggeshall defender but he was unable to get a shot in. Wroxham were forced to make their first change of the afternoon soon after as Jordan Bond limped off to be replaced by Lewis Wallace.

A half-time substitution saw Jamie Godbold introduce Peter Wiltshire for Connor Deeks. Wiltshire engineered a half chance but his shot was sliced into the air rather than towards goal as the wind and rain intensified.

Coggeshall made the score 4-0 just six minutes into the second half. Tom Monk who had outpaced Manning for his goal in the first half was able to do the same to Lewis Wallace. His shot across Macrae ending in the back of the net.

At this time it looked as if the Yachtsmen would end up being on the wrong end of a cricket score. However, the home side were kept at bay by some fine saves by George Macrae who denied hattricks for both of the Coggeshall goalscorers.

Wroxham will now look to bounce back in the league at Trafford Park next Saturday when Ely City are the visitors. Also, announced yesterday was the draw for the semi-finals of the Thurlow Nunn League Cup. A home game against Brantham Athletic, who had defeated Coggeshall in the quarter final will be played at Trafford Park on Tuesday March 20th.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s