Nyadzayo launches Cruise missile to progress in the Vase

Cruise 2
Cruise on fire as he scored from distance against Mulbarton in the FA Vase

Wroxham progressed to the 1st Round proper of the Buildbase FA Vase with a victory over local side, Mulbarton Wanderers. Goals from Cruise Nyadzayo, Mac Gee and Jordan Bond ensured victory. Here is the viewpoint of the men at the game, Darren Wiseman and Aston Cosford.

A Cruise Missile gets the Yachtsmen on their way in a competitive encounter writes Darren Wiseman.

Early in the season it’s easy to forget which competition you are playing in, but it was the Buildbase FA Vase that rolled into Trafford Park as the Yachtsmen welcomed neighbours Mulbarton on another pleasant Saturday Afternoon. The place was lively with lots of young Wroxham players present to be Mascot, and it was great to have so many of them around to enjoy the day.

Connor Milligan continued in goal for a settled Wroxham side, sitting behind the back four of Kieran Smith, Mac Gee, Chris Skipper and captain Adam Plumstead. In midfield, Harley Black returned in place of Simon Lappin, with Josh Pond beside him. Joe Keeley and Cruise Nyadzayo out wide looked to get the ball in to Jordan Bond and striker Damon Cooper.

The visitors got us underway shooting towards the Kenny Cooke stand and they seemed to make a chance straight away. Jamie Smith lost Mac Gee down the right and his cross was met by former Yachtsman Ben Thompson, but he hit his effort over, under pressure from Chris Skipper.

All the early possession was with the youthful Yachtsmen, but the next clear chance again fell to the visitors. A long ball put through again for Thompson who ran though on goal, but Milligan and Skipper between them stopped the danger brilliantly. Milligan was brave and Skipper slid in with a perfectly timed sliding tackle.

On 15 mins the Yachtsmen finally created an opening. Damon Cooper, full of nice touches and technique linked up with Nyadzayo to create himself space, and Nyadzayo was able to pass back and release him, the ball in was dealt with by a full stretch Danny Self (another former Yachtsman), leading to loud shouts for handball, but the referee, sporting an awesome haircut that was the talk of the stands, gave a corner. It was a lively start, and the 132 in attendance were all getting right into the tussle.

The corner cam in and found Skipper in the box, who teed up Cooper, but he missed the ball and it came out to Black. The number 4 took a touch and delivered again for Plumstead to head over.

Wroxham were starting to take control, and it was Jordan Bond who next stretched the visitors. He ran straight at the defence from half way, but just as he looked to release the killer ball to Keeley, the ball bobbled and got away from him.

In the last few weeks, Wroxham have had loads of joy though Cruise Nyadzayo out on the right. The home side took advantage of this outlet again midway through the first half. A long ball out over the full back by Black was controlled by the flying winger, who was able to get to the byline, but his cross was deflected behind for a corner.

The first half was really tight, but on half an hour there was loud shouts from the visitors for a penalty. Thompson tussled with Bond in the Wroxham box. Bond did a little turn in the box, and Thompson went down. It all looked a little untidy, the visitors wanted a penalty, but nothing was doing. The Mulbarton fans outside the bar were incensed.

Mulbarton had their best spell, but the Yachtsmen defence held firm and saw off the danger.

On the stroke of half time, Nyadzayo reached into his box of tricks and pulled out an absolute belter. He and Joe Keeley had switched sides, and Nyadzayo picked the ball up out on the left. He cut inside, and leaving 2 defenders in his wake he let loose a drive from 25yards plus. It went low and beat Tom Wright low to his left side. It was a great goal, and something that Nyadzayo is now making a habit in recent weeks. Long may it continue!!

Neither side had any changes to make at half time, so Wroxham got us back underway with everything still to play for.

On 48 minutes, Mulbarton had a chance to get level. Thompson beat Skipper, and he tried an effort from the angle but Milligan was equal to it, tipping the ball over the bar. Thompson was soon in the action again, he drove into the Wroxham box and passed the ball to Tom Amis, but his effort brought a great point blank save from Milligan.

This flurry of chances seemed to be just the warning shot that the Yachtsmen needed. Nyadzayo again beat Mason Roe, but Jamie Smith was able to nip in and concede a corner, snuffing out the danger. But the corner was delivered perfectly, dropping at the back post to find free scoring full back Mac Gee who finished with a plomb, just inside the post back towards where the ball came from.

On 68 minutes, after a tight spell, Wroxham put the game to bed. A long ball through for substitute Wilkinson turned into a foot race between him and visiting full back Charlie Aulert. The full back caught the speedy winger in the box, and with Wilkinson going down in the area the Referee quickly pointed to the spot. Visitors Wright and Curtis were booked for arguing, but when the time came Jordan Bond made no mistake from the spot.

The game started to fizzle out as a contest after that, but Mulbarton did keep on fighting. The Yachtsmen’s desire to keep a clean sheet was epitomised in the last minute a Adam Plumstead skud in to block an effort by sub Sam Whiting. The final whistle followed shortly after, and Wroxham can be happy with a professional job well done. They had lots more of the ball overall, but most importantly they just seemed to have more in front of goal than Mulbarton. The visitors can be proud of their efforts, and give their league campaign a real try now.

Fingers crossed for a good draw in the first round proper!! The draw saw the Yachtsmen travel to Great Yarmouth on October 13th.


And also the touchline view of Aston Cosford.

At Trafford Park, Wroxham hosted yet another Derby on a sunny September day.

Wroxham looked to find a win which could kickstart their form after a disappointing 3-0 loss last Saturday. Wroxham took on rivals Mulbarton in the second round of the FA Vase.

Sidelined Simon Lappin couldn’t participate today following his red card last weekend. This gave a chance to others to step in and fight for the place.

Wroxham started brightly in the first five minutes as good work on the wing by Smith almost resulted in a early goal, but Cooper missed the ball from 5 yards out. He was in a tricky situation and consequently couldn’t arrange his feet in a way that could allow him to score. The game was all to play for as both teams seemed to have what it takes to secure the three points.

Mulbarton also started well, they organise some bombarding attacks but defence stayed put. On the 30th minute mark. Milligan decided to go on a walk, a very dangerous walk as his failed attempt to clear the ball from the Mulbarton attacker nearly gave him a start he would forget. However luck was on his side. He casually made his way back to his goal line from halfway inside his half.

Cruise Nyadzayo, who yet again seemed the turning point for Wroxham, sent a trickling run to skip past the Mulbarton right back, and whipped in a cross for  Mulbarton’s Self, who almost scored a spectacular goal, in the wrong net. Wright was alert to save his blushes. This was then followed by a quiet 10 minutes with neither team able to find the goal to break the deadlock. That was until 5 mins later, Cruise scored a great goal from outside the box to show that he has great form at Trafford Park. Two in two at home for him. And yet again another great goal. That ended a very equal half, with either side able to proceed to the next round.
Shortly after the whistle for the start of the second half, Cruise skipped into the box with ease, his cross found Keeley at the front post, but his effort crawled wide of the post. Mulbarton then had one of their best chances of their day as Thompson sent a curling shot inches over the bar, he well pressured from the Wroxham defence, making him unable to move.

In the 61st minute, Wroxham made it 2-0, Gee was picked out at the back post and his header crept along the goal mouth and into the far corner of the net. Wroxham definitely have their cutting edge today, it’s something that Mulbarton are lacking. Mulbarton has plenty of chances to make a comeback but a great goal line clearance from the Wroxham defence showed that they were struggling to take their chances and convert them into goals. I think that a shoot on sight tactic will seem more beneficial for Mulbarton because of the large amount of chances they have had. Wroxham very tightly packed in defence, not allowing too many shots to find the target. Good communication and awareness.

In the 72nd minute, Wilkinson received a great searching pass into the Mulbarton box but was brought down by Wright who he was running alongside. A controversial decision as there didn’t seem to be too much in the challenge, but I’m not going to complain! Bond calmly slotted the penalty into the centre of the goal to fire Wroxham 3-0 up. Wroxham have scored 7 goals in their last 2 home games. Yet again another goal fest! Trafford Park seems the place to be for goals!

The game had a relatively slow end to the game with Mulbarton taking control of possession in the last 10 minuets. Wroxhams defence and yet again Nyadzayo proving the difference this Saturday afternoon. Despite the blip of form last Saturday, Wroxham are on a fine run of games!

Thank you to both reporters for their view on the game.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s