No Roses in the Vase as Wroxham fall to Yarmouth

Yarmouth handshake
The teams line up before kick off in the FA Vase 1st Round tie at Yarmouth (Photo: Jessica Youngs)

Wroxham returned to the ground which saw them victorious last Tuesday night in the Thurlow Nunn league, writes Aston Cosford. Manager Jordan Southgate made a number of changes to the starting 11 today. Connor Milligan remained in goal, a defence of Kieran Smith, Mac Gee, Isaac Burrage and Adam Plumstead. The midfield consisted of Simon Lappin, Shaun Taylor, Cruise Nyadzayo and Jordan Bond. With Marcus Wilkinson and double-goalscorer from Tuesday Sonny Carey up front. Substitutes were Joe Keeley, Harley Black, Chris Skipper Seamus Bobby and George Macrae

On a sunny Saturday by the sea the Yachtsmen were hoping for a repeat performance and to proceed into the second round of the Buildbase FA Vase on this year’s ‘non-league day’.  It was an encouraging start by the Yachtsmen, using bursts of pace from Nyadzayo and Carey. Defender Kieran Smith advanced and strode with power into the Yarmouth area. Unfortunately, his blazing shot drifted over the bar.

Ray Urry for Great Yarmouth almost scored what would’ve been one or if not the most outrageous goal of the competition, he caught Milligan off of his line and his strike from the half way line flew inches higher than the crossbar. Milligan was pleased to see that one go wide! What a goal that would’ve been.

The Bloaters yet again bounced back with a headed chance which glanced dangerously close to the crossbar. Just a tad lower and Yarmouth would be ahead. Wroxham were in urgent need of a chance of their own.

In the 23rd minute, Bond produced a great compact move in the Yachtsmen half which saw Carey’s effort go ever so close to the roof of the net. Unfortunately, the offside flag was shown but nevertheless Wroxham went close. Great awareness from Bond as he managed to shrug off any attempt of the defenders slowing him down.
In the 29th minute a penalty was awarded for Yarmouth for an apparent push in the Wroxham area. Fortunately for the Yachtsmen, the penalty was skied by Davis and ended up beyond the running track.

Straight after the whistle for the start of the second half, Sonny Carey blew us all away with a spectacular solo goal. His run from the half way line was finished with great finesse as he shot into the corner of the net. An repeat of his goal last Tuesday!
However, Wroxham’s party was cut short as a second penalty was awarded for Great Yarmouth. A high foot from the Wroxham defender was called dangerous and the referee made his decision to award a second spot-kick. The penalty was slotted into the bottom right corner giving Milligan no chance.

Minutes later, Great Yarmouth struck into the lead with a good goal from Aaron Sanders. The ex Wroxham player fired from a tight angle to secure the lead.

Great Yarmouth continued to pile on the high intensity pressure. That was until, Wroxham thought they struck gold from out of nowhere as the ball ended up in the back of the net. A free kick from Simon Lappin was fumbled by the Yarmouth goalkeeper and the rebound was followed up by Carey. Unfortunately, the Assistant Referee had raised his flag. Very slight margins, Wroxham were ever so close. The Yachtsmen switched to an attacking style as they tried to search for an equaliser which would send the game into extra time.

Both teams were giving 100% effort. Nyadzayo burst through Great Yarmouth’s back line and found himself one on one with the goalkeeper. Sadly, he dragged his shot wide of the near post. It was a big chance for the Yachtsmen.

Yarmouth were holding fast as Wroxham were pushing forward, something surely had to give. Disaster then struck for Wroxham as a mistake between Milligan and Plumstead led to Plumstead accidentally heading back towards Milligan. The keeper who had recently been in impressive form could only get his fingertips to the ball and Charlie Mcara was able to fire in a certain winner.
Wroxham had the most chances but were not as accurate as they have been. Credit to the Great Yarmouth back line though as they were solid this Saturday afternoon.

Thoughts and attention now turn to Thetford on Friday night.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s