Natty sends them batty as Wroxham hit Thetford for five

Natty Stewart.JPG
Nathan Stewart (pictured at Yarmouth last week) proved a thorn in the Thetford side 

A dominant performance saw the Yachtsmen leave Thetford’s Recreation Ground with 3 points and a 5-goal haul. In all honesty, it could have been double that number as the Brecklanders found Wroxham’s latest signing Natty Stewart too hot to handle.

Manager Jordan Southgate made some changes to his starting XI following the defeat to Yarmouth in The FA Vase the previous Saturday. George Macrae returned to the starting line-up following his hand injury picked up a few weeks ago with Connor Milligan being unavailable. In defence, Chris Skipper and Adam Plumstead were re-united whilst Wyatt Hill also returned and Mac Gee completed the four. In a very attacking looking midfield, Simon Lappin was the only recognizable midfielder. He was joined by Sonny Carey, Jordan Bond and Cruise Nyadzayo. Up front Grant Holt also returned to be joined by Natty Stewart on his season-long loan from Kings Lynn. On the substitutes bench were Joe Keeley, Harley Black, Isaac Burrage, Kieran Smith and Marcus Wilkinson.

The home side kicked off but it was Wroxham who had the first opportunity. Nyadzayo playing wide on the left, got the ball into the danger area but the in-running Nathan Stewart just failed to get a decent touch to the ball. It was looking like Stewart was going to be the danger man and he was released to advance on the goal. A low shot was well saved by former Wroxham ‘keeper Will Viner who tipped the ball wide for a corner.

It proved to be a short respite for Viner and Thetford as in the 6th minute, Wroxham were awarded a penalty. Stewart being brought down on the far side of the penalty area. Grant Holt took on the duties and his shot to the keeper’s right gave Viner no chance to make it 1-0 to the visitors. The goal being celebrated by Holt’s number one fan who had travelled from Hong Kong to watch his hero and the game.

It looked like it was going to be one-way traffic towards the Thetford goal as first Jordan Bond burst into the area but was tackled before he could get a shot away. Nathan Stewart was again brought down by a Thetford defender but on this occasion 5 yards outside the area. A Simon Lappin free-kick was pushed onto the cross-bar by Viner but it was followed up by Grant Holt to tap into the net. Unfortunately, the Assistant referee had already raised his flag for off-side to bring the celebrations to a premature halt.

In the 20th minute, a Wroxham attack saw Thetford break away to score. On a moist pitch, players were finding it difficult to keep their feet. Unfortunately for Nyadzayo, a slip saw Thetford gain the ball, advance down the right. Two Thetford players were free in the Wroxham area and Andrew Wood was able to get his shot low into the net past Macrae to bring the Brecklanders level.

The parity didn’t last very long. After 22 minutes, Wroxham broke quickly down the right. Wyatt Hill picked up the ball to advance into the area and smashed an unstoppable shot into the top of the net. The defender enjoyed that judging by his celebrations.

Wroxham were now looking like not when but how long would it be before they increased their lead. Nyadzayo shot wide of the goal and Stewart had a shot saved after he was teed up by Mac Gee following a corner.

Wroxham could not rest though as George Macrae came out to block a Thetford shot after a good through ball by the home side.

It proved to be a wake-up for Wroxham and after 38 minutes, it was 3-1 to the visitors. Nyadzayo picked up the ball and advanced towards the Thetford goal. He played a neat ball inside to Mac Gee who had joined the attack on the break and the full-back finished well past Viner. A hammer-blow for Thetford who were now going in two goals behind at half-time.

The second half didn’t start in the way that Thetford manager Danny White had hoped. A Thetford midfielder was disposed and Nathan Stewart was played in centrally. He advanced towards goal and as he shot towards goal the ball ended high in the net beyond Viner to make it 4-1.

The next Wroxham opportunity fell to captain Adam Plumstead who had a header cleared off the Thetford goal-line.

Just before the hour mark, Wroxham made it five. Nathan Stewart was able to tee up Jordan Bond and he made the result sure. As there was over half an hour left to play, it was a question of how many Wroxham would score.

Thetford were not downhearted and the impressive-looking Valter Rocca came close on two occasions. His first was just wide of the far post and then he tried an audacious chip as Macrae was caught off his line but was relieved to see the ball drop just over the bar.

A series of substitutions saw Joe Keeley, Isaac Burrage and Harley Black join the fray as Nyadzayo, Plumstead and Lappin were withdrawn.

Stewart was looking keen to add to his first goal for Wroxham and was played in following a neat turn by Grant Holt but unfortunately for him, Viner got down low to save well. Stewart then came close again but, on this occasion, Viner made a save with his feet. As the game drew to a close, Stewart almost turned provider as Keeley tried to chip but his shot was just over the cross-bar.

The night was exactly what Jordan Southgate had ordered following the defeat at Yarmouth. The result saw Wroxham move up to 6th in the league just two points off second after the weekend’s results.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s