Wroxham become the Comeback Kings to take the spoils

Karol Wengrzik
Karol Wengrzik opened the scoring on his second appearance for The Yachtsmen

A rather Chilly Saturday was to behold the Thurlow Nunn clash between Wroxham and Hadleigh United. Following defeat to title winners Histon in midweek, Wroxham looked to find some improvement, writes Aston Cosford.


Harley Black returned following his 3 match ban and Grant Holt was able to keep his place in the starting eleven. George Macrae had the ‘keepers gloves whilst in front of him was Mac Gee, Joe Manning, Joe Keeley and Jackson Ramm. Taking up the midfield places were Black, Simon Lappin, Sonny Carey and recent signing Karol Wengrzik. Up front were Holt and Nathan Stewart. A strong Yachtsmen bench of Shaun Taylor, Cruise Nyadzayo, Jordan Bond, Matt Doyle and Chris Skipper.


In front of a healthy crowd of 138 including a few who came on from Carrow Road’s early kick off, there was an early chance for Wroxham as Stewart bared down on goal, but the keeper did enough to put him off his shot. The shot hit the side netting. Minutes after this Stewart sent another shot bounding towards goal, only to see it slide narrowly wide. It was an end to end start to the game and Hadleigh drew blood first due to an own goal from Mac Gee. A long throw in from Hadleigh skimmed off Gee’s head and landed into the gaping Wroxham net. 1-0.


Shortly after a powerful shot from Hadleigh was released from outside of the box, this hit the bar and the follow up hit the right side of the post and out for a goal kick. This seemed destined to hit the back of the net for a second. Hadleigh didn’t have to wait long though as they scored a well worked goal from Kyron Andrews to make it 2-0. The attacker used his pace as a big advantage as he beat the right back and consequently beating the goalkeeper. 2-0.


Immediately after, Wroxham came back with a shout as Wengrzik netted a deflected shot which opened his account up for the Yachtsmen. The ball ricocheted off the sliding defender and flew into the left corner of the net. 2-1.


In the 36th minute Stewart scored a spectacular goal to complete the comeback. A good ball over the top by Keeley was well taken down by Stewart who targeted down the keeper and slotted it underneath and into the back of the net. 2-2.


Natty Stewart was smiling as he netted the Wroxham equaliser


In the 41st minute, Macrae did well to deny United from regaining the lead. He made a double save with his feet, one on one with the attacker.


The second half started with an early chance for Hadleigh. Their corner evaded everyone in the box and only needed a slight touch towards goal and it would’ve been 3-2.


The first ten minutes of the half had been all Wroxham, many crosses were launched into the box from Lappin but there was no receiver. Wroxham were then close to finding a third. A good pass from Holt found Stewart in the centre of the area and his shot was fired viciously to the bottom right corner but was well tipped wide by the Hadleigh keeper.


The looming comeback was finally completed by Wroxham thanks to a goal from Sonny Carey. His initial shot at goal was kept out but the follow up was slammed into the roof of the net. 3-2!

Sonny Carey
Sonny Carey was the winner as his goal secured all three points for The Yachtsmen


With 3 minutes to go, Hadleigh were close to an equaliser, a goal line scramble was well saved by Macrae and the attacker who attempted the follow up, tripped up. Wroxham found some good fortune.


Full-time whistle blew to round off a well fought battle for the Yachtsmen and a very successful day indeed. 3-2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s